Transmission vibration

All C4 Cactus related discussions
User avatar
fixerman
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: West London

Transmission vibration

Post by fixerman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:16 pm

I am experiencing quite a marked vibration when moving off from stationary. I have the 1.2 petrol with the automatic gearbox. I have had Citroen cars with this type of transmission in the past without any issues. I first noticed it when I collected the car about 9 months ago but the dealer tried to fob me off with an excuse saying that it was a feature of the three cylinder engine. It has become more pronounced of late. I have just 3000 thousand miles on clock.

Anybody else have a similar experience please.
C4 Cactus PureTech 82 Stop&Start ETG Flair in sport red with matching mirrors.

User avatar
Keith
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by Keith » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:26 pm

That happens to me but only if I pull away really fast say to get into a gap in the passing traffic and then only for a split second, Other than that it's fine.
Shark Grey - Black Air Bumps - Flair 82ETG - Panoramic Sunroof - City Park pack.Image

User avatar
fixerman
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: West London

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by fixerman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Keith wrote:That happens to me but only if I pull away really fast say to get into a gap in the passing traffic and then only for a split second, Other than that it's fine.
Thanks for your prompt response Keith!

I find it very difficult to move off smoothly and if I give it a lot of throttle it rattles the passenger door the vibration is so strong. My previous car was a C3 Picasso auto and it was dead smooth on pulling away.
C4 Cactus PureTech 82 Stop&Start ETG Flair in sport red with matching mirrors.

User avatar
Keith
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by Keith » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:59 pm

fixerman wrote:
Keith wrote:That happens to me but only if I pull away really fast say to get into a gap in the passing traffic and then only for a split second, Other than that it's fine.
Thanks for your prompt response Keith!

I find it very difficult to move off smoothly and if I give it a lot of throttle it rattles the passenger door the vibration is so strong. My previous car was a C3 Picasso auto and it was dead smooth on pulling away.

Mine is nothing like that, I think mine is what you get when sticking your foot down hard from a standstill being it's a three pot engine. Even then it is only me who feels it through the steering column, the passengers do not feel it.

If I use kick down to overtake it is really smooth as is a standard pull away.

This is probably not what you want to hear.

Have you tried a manual ETG reset?

Get the engine warm.
Find a flat, safe straight piece of road & stop.
Make sure the selector is in D.
Floor the accelerator fully - past the kick down stop & keep it there until it hits 3rd gear and then drive normally.
Shark Grey - Black Air Bumps - Flair 82ETG - Panoramic Sunroof - City Park pack.Image

User avatar
deeppurple
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by deeppurple » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:14 pm

I feel the same and i have a manual gearbox. I thought it was the petrol quality but i see others with the same problem
PureTec 82 manual, Midnight Edition

User avatar
fixerman
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: West London

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by fixerman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:35 pm

"

Have you tried a manual ETG reset?

Get the engine warm.
Find a flat, safe straight piece of road & stop.
Make sure the selector is in D.
Floor the accelerator fully - past the kick down stop & keep it there until it hits 3rd gear and then drive normally.[/quote]

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I'm not familiar with the "kick down stop".
C4 Cactus PureTech 82 Stop&Start ETG Flair in sport red with matching mirrors.

User avatar
Keith
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by Keith » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:30 pm

fixerman wrote:"Thanks! I'll give that a try. I'm not familiar with the "kick down stop".
When you press the accelerator fully down you will feel a resistance at the bottom push pass this, you should feel a slight click. When you do a reset you must push the accelerator quickly and fully to the floor.

If you are not familiar with kickdown on autos what it is when you are going along and say doing 50mph in 5th gear and want to overtake something, rather than changing down with the padals you just kickdown (hence the name) the accelerator and off you go like a rocket as the car and gearbox does it all for you.
Shark Grey - Black Air Bumps - Flair 82ETG - Panoramic Sunroof - City Park pack.Image

User avatar
fixerman
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: West London

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by fixerman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Keith wrote:
fixerman wrote:"Thanks! I'll give that a try. I'm not familiar with the "kick down stop".
When you press the accelerator fully down you will feel a resistance at the bottom push pass this, you should feel a slight click. When you do a reset you must push the accelerator quickly and fully to the floor.

If you are not familiar with kickdown on autos what it is when you are going along and say doing 50mph in 5th gear and want to overtake something, rather than changing down with the padals you just kickdown (hence the name) the accelerator and off you go like a rocket as the car and gearbox does it all for you.
Thanks Keith. You explained that very well.
C4 Cactus PureTech 82 Stop&Start ETG Flair in sport red with matching mirrors.

User avatar
fixerman
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: West London

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by fixerman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:48 am

I'm going to book it in for an inspection because it's getting worse. Wish me luck with a courtesy car!
C4 Cactus PureTech 82 Stop&Start ETG Flair in sport red with matching mirrors.

Angus
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:22 am

Re: Transmission vibration

Post by Angus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:39 pm

This, and hesitant acceleration at low speeds is what made me change to a 110 manual. No issues at all now.
White / Black Cactus Puretech 110 S/S, Pano, Rear Camera, Black wheels.

Post Reply

Return to “Main C4 Cactus chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 4 guests